Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rite of Abundance


Dawn in the Piney Woods

It is a few hours before sunset as I drive into the Blackwater River State Forest through the upland pine woods and scrubby ridges, meandering downhill toward Juniper creek. I can hear the sound of a Red-cockaded Woodpecker in the distance and it is easy to imagine what this area was like hundreds of years ago when the Creek Indians were the only inhabitants. I stop at one of my favorite camping areas, a bluff overlooking the water with a shaded campsite nestled under the trees. Among the loblolly pines, various oaks, dogwoods and southern magnolias I set up my tent. Overhead a red shouldered hawk rides the gentle breezes. I have just enough time before darkness covers the wildland to walk down the clay-and-sand trail, gathering deadfall from the white cedars that mingle with cypress trees to shade the sand-bottom river. As I return to camp to prepare dinner and watch the sunset, I listen to the serenade of the Pine Barrens Treefrog and I fall to sleep to the song of the bobwhite echoing around me.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/OPG/blackwaterriver/photos/BWR-PinewoodsTrail-park.jpg


I awake slowly to the sounds of the woods stirring and crawl out of my sleeping bag into the crisp chill air. Pulling on my clothes and boots I try to gather my thoughts in a mind still fogged with sleep. I unzip my tent door and step outside to gaze on the forest of pine trees, wiregrass and blueberry bushes engulfed in a soft pearly mist, the trees backlit by the light of the rising sun Goddess. Taking wood from the pile I gathered the evening before, I kindle a fire. My thoughts travel to all the women through the centuries before me who have built fires in the dawn light preparing to warm and feed themselves and their families.


Poking around I find a stone, and a small white flower to adorne my altar. I take oatmeal grains from my pack and water from the jug I brought from home. As I pour a cup, I dwell in prayer that the river-water that I gaze upon may one day again be pure enough to use in ritual. I set out candles, incense, oil, a small pottery figure of the Mother Goddess round and pregnant with her abundance, and my copy of Dea. Lighting the candles and the incense, I invoke the protection of the elements. I anoint myself with the oil and draw down blessings that I may be inspired by the words of the ritual.


I contemplate the words of Lady Olivia - “When I look on the august sky ....” and I look upon the dawn here in the Blackwater State Forest and I am filled with wonder. “The earth conceals my spendour” - I am aware that I sit on fertile ground, surrounded by magnificent forest, the river winding through it. My throat constricts as tears rise in my eyes, and I pause momentarily, overcome by profound emotion. My heart swelling with gratitude for the abundance of nature, I continue. I make offerings of grains, incense and the flower found here in the forest. My bell rings, adding its music to that of the birds and the wind. I close my eyes to meditate “receiving communion with the Goddess.” Opening my eyes I ring my bell twice more. I take up the cup of water, feeling the moisture in my throat and sharing the happiness of all the creatures of the forest. I take the stone found on the forest floor between my palms and open my heart to the “gifts of the earth”. Placing the stone back on the altar I hold out my hands and, drawing power from within, I send out blessings to “all beings and all existences”. Giving thanks I end the rite. I return to my fire to fix my morning coffee and oatmeal and enjoy this wonderful day!


http://www.fl-dof.com/state_forests/blackwater_river.html

http://www.floridastateparks.org/blackwaterriver/Photos-Park.cfm







No comments: